Last Updated: 2020-05-05
Battle Jamon Official Rules
NO PURCHASE NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN. VOID WHERE PROHIBITED. CONTEST IS OPEN TO RESIDENTS OF THE 50 UNITED STATES, THE DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA AND WORLDWIDE, EXCEPT FOR ITALY, BRAZIL, QUEBEC, CRIMEA, CUBA, IRAN, SYRIA, NORTH KOREA, and SUDAN (Current list of countries under export sanctions)
The Battle Jamon (the "Contest") is a skill contest where participants must develop a code that allows them to compete for points against other players in a virtual battle arena. See below for the complete details.
1. BINDING AGREEMENT: By entering the Contest, you (or "Participant") agree to these Official Rules ("Rules"). Therefore, please read these Rules prior to entry to ensure you understand and agree.
2. ELIGIBILITY: To be eligible to enter the Contest, you must be: (1) above the age of majority in the country, state, province or jurisdiction of residence (or at least twenty years old in Taiwan) at the time of entry; (2) not a resident of Italy, Brazil, Quebec, Crimea, Cuba, Iran, Syria, North Korea, or Sudan); (3) not a person or entity under U.S. export controls or sanctions; and (4) have access to the Internet as of May 15, 2020. Contest is void in Italy, Brazil, Quebec, Crimea, Cuba, Iran, Syria, North Korea, Sudan, and where prohibited by law. Employees, interns, contractors, and official office-holders of Google, and their parent companies, subsidiaries, affiliates, and their respective directors, officers, employees, advertising and promotion agencies, representatives, and agents ("Contest Entities"), and members of the Contest Entities' and their immediate families and members of the households are ineligible to participate in this Contest. Sponsor reserves the right to verify eligibility and to adjudicate on any dispute at any time.
If you are entering as part of a company or on behalf of your employer, these rules are binding on you, individually, and/or your employer. If you are acting within the scope of your employment, as an employee, contractor, or agent of another party, you warrant that such party has full knowledge of your actions and has consented thereto, including your potential receipt of a prize. You further warrant that your actions do not violate your employer's or company's policies and procedures.
3. SPONSOR: The Contest is sponsored by Google LLC ("Google" or "Sponsor"), a Delaware corporation with principal place of business at 1600 Amphitheater Parkway, Mountain View, CA, 94043, USA.
4. CONTEST PERIOD: The Contest begins at 12:00:00 A.M. Pacific Time (PT) Zone in the United States on May 14, 2020 and ends at 11:59:59 P.M. PT on May 15, 2020 ("Contest Period"). ENTRANTS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR DETERMINING THE CORRESPONDING TIME ZONE IN THEIR RESPECTIVE JURISDICTIONS.
5. HOW TO ENTER: Only registered attendees of the Spring I/O Bridge digital event will be eligible for the Contest and will receive a link to join the Contest and instructions upon entry to Spring I/O Bridge. To participate in the Contest, each Participant will build a microservice with a technology of their choice (or choose from Java, Kotlin, or Scala starters) and then deploy the microservice on Google Cloud. Once the microservice is deployed, Participant will send a chat to James Ward via the conference chat application to request to share the URL for the unique microservice so that it can be added to the Contest arena where each Participant's deployed microservice will have the ability to move and throw "Jamon" at the other participants in the Contest arena.
Contest Entities are not responsible for any malfunction of the entire Contest Site or any late, lost, damaged, misdirected, incomplete, illegible, undeliverable, or destroyed entry materials due to system errors and/or hardware malfunctions which may limit an entrant's ability to participate.
The arena contains all of the Participants for a given battle. Winners will be announced at the final five-minute arena at the end of the Spring I/O Bridge event.
In an arena battle, about once per second, the arena manager, a Google Cloud Developer Advocate, will call Participants' microservices and will send Participants the current arena state (where the Participants are). Participants Microservices will respond with a command from one of the following available actions: Participants can move forward, turn left or right, or throw a Jamon. A thrown Jamon will travel up to three spaces in the direction the Participant is facing. If a Jamon "hits" another Participant, the thrower gets one point and the hit Participant loses a point.
At the end of the arena battle, the 3 Participants with the highest point values based on hitting opponents will be the potential winners. In the event a potential winner is disqualified for any reason, the Participant that received the next highest total score will be chosen as the potential winner.
The potential winner(s) will be selected and notified via an event announcement within the digital conference space as well as by email. If a potential winner does not respond to the notification attempt within two (2) days from the first notification attempt, then such potential winner will be disqualified and an alternate potential winner will be selected from among all eligible entries received based on the judging criteria described herein. Except where prohibited by law, each potential winner may be required to sign and return a Declaration of Eligibility and Liability and Publicity Release and provide any additional information that may be required by Sponsor. If required, potential winners must return all such required documents within 10 days following attempted notification or such potential winner will be deemed to have forfeited the prize and another potential winner will be selected based on the judging criteria described herein. Determinations of judges are final and binding.
7. PRIZES: Google Cloud Credits: 1st Prize = $500 credit, 2nd Prize = $400 credit, 3rd Prize = $300 credit
Odds of winning any prize depends on the number of eligible entries received during the Contest Period and the skill of the entrants. The prize(s) will be awarded within approximately 1 week of receipt by Sponsor of final prize acceptance documents. The prizes cannot be exchanged for cash and are non- transferable. Sponsor reserves the right to substitute a prize of equal or greater value. If the potential winner declines the prize, does not respond to the prize notification, fails to claim the prize, is unavailable for prize fulfillment, fails to abide by the Official Rules, or is ineligible, Google may select an alternate winner from the next eligible highest scoring participant. The prize(s) may be subject to restrictions and/or licenses and may require additional hardware, software, service, or maintenance to use. The winner shall bear all responsibility for use of the prize(s) in compliance with any conditions imposed by such manufacturer(s), and any additional costs associated with its use, service, or maintenance.
8. TAXES: PAYMENTS TO POTENTIAL WINNERS ARE SUBJECT TO THE EXPRESS REQUIREMENT THAT THEY SUBMIT TO GOOGLE ALL DOCUMENTATION REQUESTED BY GOOGLE TO PERMIT IT TO COMPLY WITH ALL APPLICABLE STATE, FEDERAL, LOCAL AND FOREIGN (INCLUDING PROVINCIAL) TAX REPORTING AND WITHHOLDING REQUIREMENTS. ALL PRIZES WILL BE NET OF ANY TAXES GOOGLE IS REQUIRED BY LAW TO WITHHOLD. ALL TAXES IMPOSED ON PRIZES ARE THE SOLE RESPONSIBILITY OF THE WINNERS. In order to receive a prize, potential winners must submit the tax documentation requested by Google or otherwise required by applicable law, to Google or the relevant tax authority, all as determined by applicable law, including, where relevant, the law of the potential winner's country of residence. The potential winner and his/her parent or legal guardian are responsible for complying with all the applicable tax laws and filing requirements.
9. GENERAL CONDITIONS: All federal, state, provincial and local laws and regulations apply.
10. INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY RIGHTS: By submitting a Code in this Contest, the entrant warrants and represents that (s)he owns or has the right to use the intellectual property in the Entry for the purpose of the Entry. Further, the entrant agrees that if any portion of the Code should be deemed to be owned by the entrant that (s)he will, as a condition of entry, grant Google a perpetual, irrevocable, worldwide, royalty-free, and non-exclusive license to use, reproduce, publicly perform, publicly display and create a derivative work from, any entry or Code that Participant submits solely for the purposes of allowing Google to test and evaluate the Code for purposes of the Contest and to advertise, display, demonstrate, or otherwise promote the Contest. Participant specifically agrees that Google shall have the right to use, reproduce, publicly perform, and publicly display the Code in connection with the advertising and promotion of the Contest, via communication to the public or other groups, including, but not limited to the right to make screenshots, animations and video clips available for promotional purposes.
Participant's information may also be transferred to countries outside the country of Participant's residence, including the United States. Such other countries may not have privacy laws and regulations similar to those of the country of Participant's residence.
Participant has the right to request access, review, rectification or deletion of any personal data held by Google in connection with the Contest by writing to Google at this email address: email@example.com
12. PUBLICITY. By accepting a prize, entrant agrees to Sponsor and its agencies use of his or her name and/or likeness and Code for advertising and promotional purposes without additional compensation, unless prohibited by law.
13. WARRANTY, INDEMNITY AND RELEASE: Entrants warrant that their Codes are their own original work and, as such, they are the sole and exclusive owner and rights holder of the submitted Code and that they have the right to submit the Code in the Contest and grant all required licenses. Each entrant agrees not to submit any Code that (1) infringes any third party proprietary rights, intellectual property rights, industrial property rights, personal or moral rights or any other rights, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, patent, trade secret, privacy, publicity or confidentiality obligations; or (2) otherwise violates the applicable state or federal law.
To the maximum extent permitted by law, each entrant indemnifies and agrees to keep indemnified Contest Entities at all times from and against any liability, claims, demands, losses, damages, costs and expenses resulting from any act, default or omission of the entrant and/or a breach of any warranty set forth herein. To the maximum extent permitted by law, each entrant agrees to defend, indemnify and hold harmless the Contest Entities from and against any and all claims, actions, suits or proceedings, as well as any and all losses, liabilities, damages, costs and expenses (including reasonable attorneys fees) arising out of or accruing from (a) any Code or other material uploaded or otherwise provided by the entrant that infringes any copyright, trademark, trade secret, trade dress, patent or other intellectual property right of any person or defames any person or violates their rights of publicity or privacy, (b) any misrepresentation made by the entrant in connection with the Contest; (c) any non-compliance by the entrant with these Rules; (d) claims brought by persons or entities other than the parties to these Rules arising from or related to the entrant's involvement with the Contest; and (e) acceptance, possession, misuse or use of any prize or participation in any Contest-related activity or participation in this Contest.
Entrant releases Google from any liability associated with: (a) any malfunction or other problem with the Contest Site; (b) any error in the collection, processing, or retention of entry information; or (c) any typographical or other error in the printing, offering or announcement of any prize or winners.
14. RIGHT TO CANCEL OR DISQUALIFY. Google reserves the right at its discretion to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the Contest for any reason, including if for any reason the Contest is not capable of running as planned, including tampering, unauthorized intervention, fraud, technical failures, printing errors, providing false information, or any other causes which corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness, integrity, or proper conduct of the Contest.
15. GOVERNING LAW: These Rules shall be governed by, subject to, and construed in accordance with the laws of the State of California, United States of America, excluding all conflict of law rules.